It has been 27 years since the infamous legal case involving a spilt cup of hot coffee supplied by a well-known fast food chain. This remains the case commonly used to illustrate the seemingly excessive litigiousness of American society. In those 27 years the South African legal landscape has also seen a leaning towards litigation. Camargue’s own experience with claims is a testament to this and we need not look to foreign jurisdictions to find examples of litigiousness.
In the personal injury space, attorneys who work on a “no win, no fee” or on a contingency basis have certainly made it easier for an aggrieved third party to take on a wrong doer. This is, of course, not the only area of law in which litigation can be pursued; however, sometimes it can seem that the legal costs of pursuing or defending other actions are prohibitively high.
Camargue’s latest product offering – Legal Expenses Insurance – can assist.
The type of cover offered by a Legal Expenses Insurance policy cannot be found in liability, professional indemnity or directors’ and officers’ policies. Legal Expenses Insurance cover provides access to legal advice and covers the legal costs of certain classes of legal action where the Insured has a reasonable prospect of a successful outcome. The addition of Legal Expenses Insurance could therefore help to round off your client’s commercial insurance portfolio and cover those expenses which are not traditionally covered.
Some of the cover offered by the policy would be legal costs in respect of:
· The pursuit and defence of contractual disputes with customers and suppliers
· The defence of criminal prosecutions and appeals
· The pursuit of a third party relating to physical damage to property and/or goods owned causing uninsured financial loss
· The pursuit or defence of a dispute with a landlord under a lease or tenancy agreement
· Appeals in respect of the suspension, revocation, alteration or refusal to renew a statutory licence
· An inquiry, investigation or other proceedings ordered or commissioned by a regulatory authority
A choice of two indemnity limits are offered, the first is R1 000 000 any one claim with an annual aggregate of R2 500 000. The other option is R2 000 000 anyone claim with an annual aggregate of R5 000 000.
Don’t let your clients cry over spilt coffee. Click here to find out more on this product offering or contact us at email@example.com.